Friday, September 16, 2011

Oh shit, I have a blog.


So yeah, it's been a while (and goddammit, whenever I say that phrase I wind up with that silly-ass Staind song stuck in my head), but what can I tell you except the 29-year-old me would have kept on bloggin' about the most useless of shit while the 39-year-old me doesn't assume that anyone gives a rat's ass about what I have to say because it's okay that no one gives a rat's ass about what I have to say.

Admittedly, operating under that assumption (that is, I don't have to zip open my innards and pour everything onto the page under the guise of “entertainment” or “a writing exercise”) has resulted in my creativity going straight into the dumper. Every now and again, it scratches at me, that kind of annoyance that comes when you're getting a tattoo and it feels like someone constantly scratching at your skin for an hour, complete with ooky bleeding and seeping. At the present time, I'm “enjoying” a grand ole time at the Stress Circus thanks to having one parent who decided having a stroke the day before my boyfriend was due to arrive from overseas for a visit was a great idea and the other parent deciding to throw all coping skills to the wind. (Note: said stroke was minor and the strokee is going great guns and doing quite well, etc. etc. Copercabana...well...uh-huh.) For me, stress manifests mostly physically – my carcass decides to basically cave in on itself and provides me with aches, pains, stomach troubles, and repellent events of a bathroomy nature. I handle my stress by giving into it for a couple days and then something in my brain clicks and allows me to ignore it, but not ignore the guilt that comes with not going to work for two days, not wanting to talk to anyone, and devoting whatever energy I can summon up to get out of bed/go to work/perform my duties/come home/perform my duties/retreat to cave. There isn't much room for anything else.

Ergo, despite the fleeting ideas (I loathe the fucking phrase “plot bunnies”) caroming around my head, the thought of sitting down and giving said ideas any sort of existence is horrifying to me. Which then leads me down the Depresso Path of “well, it's not like you'd actually be able to sell it/publish it/put it on a pamphlet and pass it to people outside of street festivals”, naturally. Then the Depresso Path sort of folds in on itself in an “Inception”-style fashion and Marion Cotillard is sad and mysterious and Leonardo DiCaprio's face just gets wider and his eyeballs get narrower. Kind of like Gollum, actually.

Holy shit, speaking of Gollum, I decided to read The Hobbit for the first time since I was a kid (I think I read it when I was a kid, though maybe I just saw a cartoon of it...maybe?) and I was not prepared for it to, well, kind of suck. I shouldn't say it sucked, because it certainly moved along and was well-written and whatnot, but oof, at the end of the day it was not my bag. After reading the ever-so-serious Lord of the Rings trilogy, digesting the utter romp that is The Hobbit is a bit rough. Thinking about how in the red-hot hell they're going to make a movie out of The Hobbit that doesn't make me seek out something to punch troubles me, reader, lo how it troubles me. Not to say I won't see it, I will see the SHIT out of it. But I'm steeling myself now for something that could possibly be a steaming pile. Trust me, I'm not one of those folks who gets super-tight when a film of a book I enjoyed gets loosey-goosey with the source material (though Bennie winding up with Jack in the film version of “Circle of Friends” was a bullshit cop-out and casting 98 percent of “The House of the Spirits” with white people was an absolute LOAD plus two hours is not enough to tell such an epic story and let's not get me rolling on “Memoirs of a Geisha”), but it just seems so...money-grubby to throw in appearances by Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom to entice Ringers into seeing The Hobbit. There has to be Hobbiters, right? And I would assume Ringers and Hobbiters all kind of dine at the same restaurant. Unless there's some sort of vocal Ringers vs. Hobbiters gang war that I'm not hip to. I wouldn't be surprised if there was, since the internet has long taught me that if there's a goodly reason to fight, by gum, we shall fight. Whether it be over politics, religion, the “Star Wars” Blu-Rays or if Orlando Bloom looks better with short hair or when his lustrous mane is in full curly magnificence.

Don't judge me, you a-holes. I'm IN A STATE RIGHT NOW.